Sendfile issues (was: HEADS UP: Varnish on FreeBSD-CURRENT)

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed May 16 15:17:49 CEST 2007

des at linpro.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) writes:
> Anyone running Varnish on FreeBSD-CURRENT should set the
> sendfile_threshold run-time parameter to -1 (disabling the use of
> sendfile) to work around a bug in the sendfile syscall where the file
> being transferred will be truncated by an amount equivalent to the
> size of the HTTP header.

We have discovered further issues with sendfile on FreeBSD 6 and Linux
2.6, and have decided to disable it by default until we can figure out
whether these are issues in Varnish or in the respective kernels.

The aforementioned bug in FreeBSD 7 still hasn't been fixed, BTW.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer