Varnish crash (SIGABRT) about every 10 mins

Gea-Suan Lin gslin at gslin.org
Thu Nov 8 18:30:46 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 05:39:45PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm鷨grav wrote:
> Gea-Suan Lin <gslin at gslin.org> writes:
> > Is that ok to running 32 varnishd and use HAProxy to redirect to them ?
>
> 32 Varnish instances?  Sounds like a lot.  What kind of site is it?

We're trying to serve images since the backend's I/O is not fast enough,
so we need cache server to cache them.

The original idea is use Varnish with "-s file,filename,100GB" to cache
them, but varnish abort in SES_Delete.  So the alternative is to run
lots of varnishd and use HAProxy to dispatch the request.

> > We found they will run out of memory.
>
> Hmm, you must be running 1.1; try switching to branches/1.2.  It
> shouldn't run out of memory.
>
> Here's a patch I think should help with the SES_Delete() issue, BTW.
> I will commit it (or something similar) once I've confirmed that it
> actually fixes the bug.

Yes we run varnish-1.1 (install from ports), I'll try 1.2 with your
patch. Thank you in advance.

--
* Gea-Suan Lin  (public key: Using https://keyserver.pgp.com/ to search)
* If you cannot convince them, confuse them.           -- Harry S Truman