Setting default_ttl in vcl file

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Mon Oct 22 17:16:14 CEST 2007

Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar at linpro.no> writes:
> Steve Scally <steve at kcilink.com> writes:
> > Now my question, is there a more direct way to change the default_ttl
> > either through configuration files or .vcl file?  If these are pretty
> > much the only three ways that is fine, I just wanted to make sure I
> > wasn't skipping over any options.  Thank you in advance for your help.
> This mail has stayed unanswered on varnish-dist, but I think someone on
> varnish-misc may be able to answer.

The default TTL can be configured on the command line with -t ttl or
(as any other run-time parameter) with -p default_ttl=ttl.  The
FreeBSD rc script does not currently have a variable for setting the
default TTL directly, nor a mechanism for setting run-time parameters
in general.  I could either add code to the rc script to read in a
list of run-time parameters and pass them on the command line, or we
could add code to varnishd to read initial values from a file.  I
prefer the former, but we need to add similar code to the Debian and
RedHat init scripts as well.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav