Setting default_ttl in vcl file

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar.hagelund at linpro.no
Tue Oct 23 20:36:46 CEST 2007

* Steve Scally
>>> Now my question, is there a more direct way to change the default_ttl
>>> either through configuration files or .vcl file?  If these are pretty
>>> much the only three ways that is fine, I just wanted to make sure I
>>> wasn't skipping over any options.  Thank you in advance for your help.

* Dag-Erling Smørgrav
> The default TTL can be configured on the command line with -t ttl or
> (as any other run-time parameter) with -p default_ttl=ttl.  The
> FreeBSD rc script does not currently have a variable for setting the
> default TTL directly, nor a mechanism for setting run-time parameters
> in general.  I could either add code to the rc script to read in a
> list of run-time parameters and pass them on the command line, or we
> could add code to varnishd to read initial values from a file.  I
> prefer the former, but we need to add similar code to the Debian and
> RedHat init scripts as well.

The RedHat and Debian init scripts reads default values from their
respective defaults file, that is, for RedHat, /etc/sysconfig/varnish,
and for Debian, /etc/defaults/varnish. In that file, you can add any
command line parameter to varnishd, not only those that are commented in
the file.  Do we need any other mechanism for adding runtime parameters?
A full-fledged configuration file parser in varnishd?

Ingvar

redhat$ tail -4 /etc/sysconfig/varnish

## Alternative 4, Do It Yourself. See varnishd(1) for more information.
#
# DAEMON_OPTS=""