Setting default_ttl in vcl file

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Oct 24 09:14:40 CEST 2007

Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar.hagelund at linpro.no> writes:
> The RedHat and Debian init scripts reads default values from their
> respective defaults file, that is, for RedHat, /etc/sysconfig/varnish,
> and for Debian, /etc/defaults/varnish. In that file, you can add any
> command line parameter to varnishd, not only those that are commented in
> the file.  Do we need any other mechanism for adding runtime parameters?
> A full-fledged configuration file parser in varnishd?
>
> Ingvar
>

> redhat$ tail -4 /etc/sysconfig/varnish
>
> ## Alternative 4, Do It Yourself. See varnishd(1) for more information.
> #
> # DAEMON_OPTS=""

The problem is that if you define DAEMON_OPTS, none of the other knobs
work, right?  FreeBSD at least has that issue:

: ${varnishd_enable="NO"}
: ${varnishd_listen=":6081"}
: ${varnishd_config="%%PREFIX%%/etc/varnish/default.vcl"}
: ${varnishd_telnet="localhost:6082"}
: ${varnishd_storage="file,/tmp,50%"}
: ${varnishd_flags="-P ${pidfile} -a ${varnishd_listen} -f ${varnishd_config} -T ${varnishd_telnet} -s ${varnishd_storage}"}

if you define varnishd_flags, you have to specify everything manually,
since the other knobs only serve to populate the default value for
varnishd_flags.

Of course, we could introduce a varnishd_extra_flags knob that just
gets appended to varnishd_flags...  not very elegant, though.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer