Description of varnishstat-items

Trond Michelsen mike at crusaders.no
Fri Sep 21 10:05:55 CEST 2007

Hi.

We're trying to understand some of the numbers from varnishstat.

In particular, we're wondering when:
   Client connections accepted
   Client requests received
are increased.

Are they increased when the connection is accepted and when the
request is received, or will Varnish wait until the request is
handled?

The reason I ask, is that we have some backends that are unable to
handle the traffic if there are a lot of cache misses. This will
result in a lot of hanging requests. At the moment, we're rejecting
all the requests to these backends. However, if we turn it back on,
connections and requests decreases to less than 1/5 of what it was
before.

So basically, I'm wondering if this indicates that there's a
congestion in our network, or if it's just a natural consequence of
the requests taking longer to handle?

--
Trond Michelsen