cache empties itself?

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at linpro.no
Fri Apr 4 10:11:52 CEST 2008

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:01:57 +0200, Sascha Ottolski <ottolski at web.de> said:

> I definetely did nothing like this, I've observed restarts "out of
> the blue". I'm no giving the trunk a try, hopefully there's an
> improvement to that matter.

If the varnish caching process dies for some reason, the parent
varnish process will start a new one to keep the service running.
This new one will not re-use the cache of the previous.

With all that said, the varnish caching process should not die in this
way, that is undesirable behaviour.

If you'd like to help debugging this issue, take a look at
http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/DebuggingVarnish

Note that if you run a released version, your issue may have beeen
fixed already in a later release, the related branch, or in trunk,

> what I did once in a while is to vcl.load, vcl.use. will this force
> a restart of the child, thus flushing the cache?

No.  The reason Varnish has vcl.load and vcl.use is to make sure you
don't have to restart anything, thus losing your cached data.

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Linpro