cache empties itself?

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Fri Apr 4 11:48:14 CEST 2008

Am Freitag 04 April 2008 10:11:52 schrieb Stig Sandbeck Mathisen:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:01:57 +0200, Sascha Ottolski <ottolski at web.de>
said:
> > I definetely did nothing like this, I've observed restarts "out of
> > the blue". I'm no giving the trunk a try, hopefully there's an
> > improvement to that matter.
>
> If the varnish caching process dies for some reason, the parent
> varnish process will start a new one to keep the service running.
> This new one will not re-use the cache of the previous.
>
> With all that said, the varnish caching process should not die in
> this way, that is undesirable behaviour.
>
> If you'd like to help debugging this issue, take a look at
> http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/DebuggingVarnish

I already started my proxies with the latest trunk and corecumps
enabled, and cross my fingers. so far it's running for about 11
hours...

BTW, if I have 32 GB of RAM, and 517 GB of cache file, how large will
the core dump be?

> Note that if you run a released version, your issue may have beeen
> fixed already in a later release, the related branch, or in trunk,
>
> > what I did once in a while is to vcl.load, vcl.use. will this force
> > a restart of the child, thus flushing the cache?
>
> No.  The reason Varnish has vcl.load and vcl.use is to make sure you
> don't have to restart anything, thus losing your cached data.

excellent. the numbers that are shown next to the config in vcl.list, is
it the number of connections that (still) use it?

Thanks again,

Sascha