Ads, Analytics and cookies...

Raymond Hall kova70 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 04:11:10 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Ian M. Evans <ianevans at digitalhit.com> wrote:

> Two problems...
>
> 1) The OpenX ad server is a server you run ON YOUR OWN SITE, so even

Don't route the adserver through varnish, use a different IP & domain
for that, or if you _need_ to go through varnish, at least use a
different domain so you can skip the lookup and pass the request based
on host header.

> 2) The Google Analytics cookies code also sets cookies on your own domain.

Yes, and if you leave the default rule that pass'ses all requests
having a cookie this will in effect bypass the cache for all your
pages. I'm running drupal behind varnish and it sets a lot of /
cookies too, so I removed the default cookies => pass rule and instead
I'm controlling which places are cached and which are passed using the
url.

regards,
Raymond Hall