Ads, Analytics and cookies...

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sun Aug 17 09:09:24 CEST 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:20, Ian M. Evans wrote:

[....]
>  So of course a cookie is attached to each page, image,
> javascript and CSS file.
>
> Since I assume that some of the main sites in need of Varnish would be
> the high-traffic, digg-friendly, ad-supported, Analtyics-using sites
> what's the way around this?

It doesn't really answer your question - but it usually makes sense to
serve the static content (css/js/images) from a completely different
domain.  For example at http://www.yellowbot.com/ we use st.ypbot.net
to have a domain that's "cookie free" for static content.    Yahoo
uses "l.yimg.com".

You don't want the browsers to "upload" the cookies a gazillion times
to a server that doesn't even look at them anyway.   This also gives
you more flexibility to have your site served by one set of servers
and the static content served by another set of servers.

  - ask