Varnish performance tests

Per Buer perbu at linpro.no
Mon Dec 8 18:03:43 CET 2008

Rebert Luc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In our studies we have a project which consists in testing the
> performance of Varnish in order to make a comparative with and without
> the proxy cache.
> Does anyone know which utilities to employ ? (knowing that the aim is to
> justify our tests)

You could have a look at varnishreplay to "replay" earlier recorded
varnishlogs. If you also want to synthesize traffic you could also check
out siege and curl-loader.

If you have a high hitrate in your cache you'll most likely end up
benchmarking the tools rather then varnish. I think I measured siege to
be ~3x slower then varnish.

--
Per Buer - Leder Infrastruktur og Drift - Redpill Linpro
Telefon: 21 54 41 21 - Mobil: 958 39 117