Miscellaneous questions

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Mon Feb 11 21:23:27 CET 2008

(1) Feature request: Can a knob be added to turn down the verbosity of
Varnish logging?  Right now on a quad-core Xeon we can service about
14k conn/s, which is good, but I wonder whether we could eke out even
more performance by quelling information that we don't need to log.

(2) HTTP/1.1 keep-alive connection reuse:  Does Varnish have the
ability to reuse origin server connections (assuming they are HTTP/1.1
Keep-Alive connections)?  Or, is there a strict 1:1 mapping between
client-proxy connections and proxy-origin server connections?

(3) Feature request: Request hashing.  It would be really cool if
Varnish were able to select the origin server (in reality another
Varnish proxy) by hashing the Request URI.  Having this ability would
improve the cache hit ratio overall where a pool of caching proxies is
used.

Best regards,

--Michael