URL rewrite

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Mon Mar 10 15:45:15 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Michael S. Fischer
<michael at dynamine.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Gsm Lock <gsm_lock at viaduk.net> wrote:
>  > I have a few backend servers . Static documents on servers has ugly
>  > addresses as http://my-next-back.end/111../785643../blabla/.../myXXXX.doc
>  > (mostly unstructured).
>  > Some of them has not unique names.
>  > I need them to be accessible  from frontend as
>  > http://myfront.end/something/my-new-named.doc
>  > There are a few thousands of documents... How can I (when I do) configure
>  > Varnish for this ?
>
>  This is easily done with Varnish.  See the gsub() method in vcl(7).
>  You'll need a working knowledge of regular expressions.

I should add: For what I gather are performance reasons, Varnish does
not have database lookup support or external map support.  You will
probably want to generate your vcl file programmatically using a map
that contains the mapped url as the key and the backend url as the
value (or vice versa).   Varnish can switch among VCL files at runtime
using the admin console.

Best regards,

--Michael