Blank pages with HTTP/1.0

Kenneth Rørvik Kenneth.Rorvik at hio.no
Tue Mar 11 12:10:14 CET 2008

Fredrik Nygren wrote:

> I have searched the mailinglist and found this thread which seems to
> look like our problem but I'm not sure it's the same problem:
> http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2008-February/001349.html
>
> Is there a known problem with the HTTP/1.0 protocol and Varnish?

This looks a lot like a problem I had recently with an eZ-publish
backend that insists on always setting cookies.

Note that your headers do NOT contain a Content-Length, and this may
prove to be problematic with HTTP 1.0:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec4.html#sec4.4

My solution was simply to strip cookies in vcl_fetch, this restored
sub vcl_fetch {
         remove obj.http.Set-Cookie;
	#<snip>
}

Of course, you may NEED these cookies.... YMMV.

(I am using RH5.1, with 1.1.2-5 rpms)

Kenneth.