zope-plone.vcl

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu May 1 23:21:42 CEST 2008

Previously Ricardo Newbery wrote:
> Just poking around the tracker and I noticed some activity on the
> example plone vcl.  http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/changeset/2634
>
> Just thought I would chime in that the example has issues.
>
> First of all, it's unnecessary to filter cookie-authenticated requests
> as authenticated responses are already set with a past date Expires
> (although you need to set a default_ttl of zero seconds, http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/236)

Actually that is not true. It holds for document, but a quick test shows
it does not for images.

> .  With CacheFu installed, the default policy gives authenticated
> deliberately cached -- mostly images, javascript and css files.  The
> rule in the example vcl defeats this strategy.

Nitpick: technically you install CacheSetup, not Cachefu. CacheFu is a
bundling of which including CacheSetup.

A default plone.vcl should also work reasonably for sites without
CacheSetup installed.

Wichert.