zope-plone.vcl

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Fri May 2 00:13:21 CEST 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>> Just poking around the tracker and I noticed some activity on the
>> example plone vcl.  http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/changeset/2634
>>
>> Just thought I would chime in that the example has issues.
>>
>> First of all, it's unnecessary to filter cookie-authenticated
>> requests
>> as authenticated responses are already set with a past date Expires
>> (although you need to set a default_ttl of zero seconds, http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/236)
>
> Actually that is not true. It holds for document, but a quick test
> shows
> it does not for images.

Pardon, can you elaborate?  What does not hold true?

I realize that setting a default_ttl of zero seconds introduces
another problem in that items without explicit cache control would not
be cached.  That's why fixing the varnish Expires handling would be
better.

>> .  With CacheFu installed, the default policy gives authenticated
>> deliberately cached -- mostly images, javascript and css files.  The
>> rule in the example vcl defeats this strategy.
>
> Nitpick: technically you install CacheSetup, not Cachefu. CacheFu is a
> bundling of which including CacheSetup.
>
> A default plone.vcl should also work reasonably for sites without
> CacheSetup installed.

Agreed.  Is this not true for the example I linked to?

Ric