Varnish 2.01 - GETs with Grinder end up in PASS

Robert Ming romics22 at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 4 08:45:57 CET 2008

Hi!

We do load-testing with 'The Grinder' vers. 3.1 on Varnish in front of several Plone3 instances. The tests worked out fine with Varnish 2.0 beta. Now with version 2.01 we have the following issue:
Executing any GET with the Testing-Framework results always in a PASS in Varnish. As a consequence all subsequent requests with the same url end up in cache hits for pass, that's not what we like to test. Requesting the same urls "manually", say with firefox or ie are first LOOKUPed and afterwards cached, the behaviour we would like to test.

Trying different ways to get around this "PASSing"-issue we came to the conclusion that it is not a grinder problem, because a simple GET done with the python httplib.HTTPConnection had the same effect.

Any comments, solutions, enlightments on this issue are appreciated.

Robert