ESI works in IE6 & curl, but not in FF, Opera, Konqueror

JT Justman jt at endpoint.com
Tue Nov 11 17:04:40 CET 2008

Torstein Krause Johansen wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>  > | Turning off Apache mod_deflate solves the problem. However, it's
>  > | probably not the "ultimate" solution as I wager the customer wants to
>  > | still use the deflate module. Setting
>  >
>  > There's unfortunately no way to use ESI and gzipped content at the
>  > moment.
>
> Ok, thanks for the confirmation :-)
>
> Sorry for asking, but I know many customers will be asking me this: do
> you have any idea when we could expect support for this?

Torstein -

We have a client who is interested in ESI and also requires gzip (as I
think most would), and we've been working on it on the back burner for a
while. Faster work from us depends on the client's priorities. It's not
a trivial undertaking, but I have at least got to the point of
understanding the ESI request flow enough to guess where the encoding
should probably be performed.

See here for links to two bugs discussing the issue:

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/PostTwoShoppingList

JT

jt at endpoint.com
http://www.endpoint.com