Varnish and mp3 streaming on demand

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 12 19:18:32 CET 2009

In message <49945B51.90407 at progis.de>, Andreas Fassl writes:

>Hi, especially the caching is very important for us, because we want to
>keep traffic away from the mp3 repository server.
>So you recommend:
>Client requests streaming on demand mp3
>- lighthttpd does streaming and requests from
>- varnish as reverse proxy/cache from
>- mp3 repository

For your information:

One of the changes I'm working on right now is to move vcl_fetch{}
up to after receiving the headers from the backend, but before
dealing with the backend.

This is necessary to be able to decide, per object, if it should be
stored in temporary (malloc) or persistent (disk) storage.

With some extra work, this will allow pass to become streaming.