Notice: locking SHMFILE in core failed: Resource temporarily, unavailable

Christer Solskogen solskogen at carebears.mine.nu
Wed Jul 8 13:21:31 CEST 2009

On 7/8/09 12:24 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Christer Solskogen<solskogen at carebears.mine.nu>  writes:
>> I'm getting this notice whenever I (re)start varnish on FreeBSD 7.2
>> (amd64). Varnish runs and works as I would expect, so is it harmless?
>
> Yes, it's harmless (though it may have an impact on performance if
> you're running a log consumer).  The cause is the same as for the GPG
> "insecure memory" warning:
>
> http://maycontaintracesofbolts.blogspot.com/2009/06/gpg-insecure-memory.html

Thanks. Setting vm.max_wired to 700000 is no problem on a machine with
8GB of memory I guess. (But I also have to admit I dont really know what
vm.max_wired really means)

> Somebody[tm] should document this Somewhere[tm].

I think you just did :) Neither Google, nor searching the mailinglist
came up with anything. I also notice that a certain Someone(tm) is the
maintainer of the varnish port on FreeBSD. Maybe that Someone(tm) could
add a note about it in pkg-message?

--
chs