Notice: locking SHMFILE in core failed: Resource temporarily, unavailable

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jul 8 14:42:56 CEST 2009

Christer Solskogen <solskogen at carebears.mine.nu> writes:
> Thanks. Setting vm.max_wired to 700000 is no problem on a machine with
> 8GB of memory I guess. (But I also have to admit I dont really know what
> vm.max_wired really means)

It sets the maximum amount of memory that may be wired (i.e. marked as
unswappable).  Unfortunately, this is a rather fuzzy concept in FreeBSD,
as it includes memory wired by userland applications using mlock(2), the
unified buffer cache, and (if I'm not mistaken) memory wired by device
drivers for DMA buffers and the like.  There should be separate limits
for all of these, and per-process limits for the first.  Patches are
welcome :)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no