varnish storage tuning

Mike Perham mperham at onespot.com
Mon Jun 15 17:27:59 CEST 2009

Just a follow up, I refactored my VCL to look like this:

sub vcl_recv {
    if (req.request == "PURGE") {
        lookup;

# Varnish's purge* routines are basically endorsed memory leaks.
# Don't ever use them.
sub vcl_hit {
    if (req.request == "PURGE") {
        set obj.ttl = 0s;
        error 200 "Purged";

sub vcl_miss {
    if (req.request == "PURGE") {
        error 200 "Purged (404)";

And now my Varnish servers have stabilized in terms of RSS and seem to
be running great.  Thanks for the advice, Darryl!