Varnish virtual memory usage

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Thu Nov 5 22:35:27 CET 2009

Hopefully your upper management allows you to install contemporary
software and distributions.  Otherwise memory leaks and x86_64 would
be the least of your concerns.  Honestly, you're waiting for Varnish
to stabilize and you're running v1?

My data point: 5 months and over 100PB of transfers, and 2.0.4 is
stable and has never leaked in our pure x86_64 production
environment.  Its memory use can be precisely monitored and controlled
between Varnish configuration and the OS environment by any competent
sysadmin, IMHO.  We actually can't use Squid at all because it really
does leak like a sieve.  pmap does not lie.

I just hope that people that have problems with any software are
taking on the responsibility of diagnosing their own environments as
much as they expect any OSS project to diagnose its code -- the former
is just as often the problem as the latter.
--
Ken