varnish 2.0.4 questions - no IMS, no persistence cache - please help

cripy ccripy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:48:06 CET 2009

GaneshKumar Natarajan writes:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:35:00 -0700

3. mmap storage : max i can configure is 340 GB.
I was able to use only 340 GB of cache. any size after this, i would get error.
child (25790) Started
Pushing vcls failed: dlopen(./vcl.1P9zoqAU.so): ./vcl.1P9zoqAU.so:
failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
--

I was having this issue too.  After some googling it appears this is a
AMD64 Linux 2.6 issue.  According to

"It maybe important to note that as of the latest 2.6 kernels, Linux on
the AMD64 platform can only memory map a 340GB per process. This is due
mainly to a VM paging system ported from the ia32 platform that should
have been left on the hillside at birth to die. I have not tested *BSD
because we have not done enough research to confirm if the Linux
emulation works on AMD64 for AMD64."