varnish 2.0.4 questions - no IMS, no persistence cache - please help

GaneshKumar Natarajan itisgany at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:34:50 CET 2009

Thanks.
I checked /proc/cpuinfo and it shows intel processor.
So even with Intel, we see this limitation of 340 GB. This is a
serious limitation to me, since in Squid, we were using 1.5 TB of
storage and i thought i could mmap and use all the space for Varnish.
Any workarounds or working kernel version in linux, please let me know.

mylinux version: RH4
2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

ulimit -a:
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 1024
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 65535
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 278528

cat /proc/cpufinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5240  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2992.505
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5989.00
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5240  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2992.505
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 3
siblings        : 2
core id         : 6
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5985.03
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5240  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2992.505
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5984.96
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5240  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2992.505
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 3
siblings        : 2
core id         : 7
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5985.04
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Ganesh

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM, cripy <ccripy at gmail.com> wrote:
> GaneshKumar Natarajan writes:
> Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:35:00 -0700
>
> 3. mmap storage : max i can configure is 340 GB.
> I was able to use only 340 GB of cache. any size after this, i would get error.
> child (25790) Started
> Pushing vcls failed: dlopen(./vcl.1P9zoqAU.so): ./vcl.1P9zoqAU.so:
> failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
> --
>
> I was having this issue too.  After some googling it appears this is a
> AMD64 Linux 2.6 issue.  According to
> http://lists.humbug.org.au/pipermail/general/2004-July/024139.html
>
> "It maybe important to note that as of the latest 2.6 kernels, Linux on
> the AMD64 platform can only memory map a 340GB per process. This is due
> mainly to a VM paging system ported from the ia32 platform that should
> have been left on the hillside at birth to die. I have not tested *BSD
> because we have not done enough research to confirm if the Linux
> emulation works on AMD64 for AMD64."

Regards,
Gany