Benchmarks [was: Yahoo! Traffic Server]

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Nov 11 10:31:40 CET 2009

This is sliding off topic, and is in no way meant as a comparison to
Traffic Server, but...

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 09:45:05AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> «We have benchmarked Traffic Server to handle in excess of 35,000 RPS on
> a single box.»
>
> I know Kristian has benchmarked Varnish to about three times that,
> though with 1-byte objects, so it's not really anything resembling a
> real-life scenario.  I think sky has been serving ~64k requests/s using
> synthetic.

I got it up to roughly 150k req/s and I still think that's a client-issue.

I know Nicholas had a favicon serving at 60k req/s without any hassle
(after session_linger was set up).

I'm reasonably certain that I can get close to breaking 300k req/s on a
dual quad core with ht, but I don't think I can convince anyone to lend me
a small city worth of computers to generate the traffic.

--
Kristian Lyngstøl
Redpill Linpro AS