Handling 304 and header refresh

Daniel Rodriguez coolbomb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 22:55:02 CET 2009

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your answer, but no, I don't use that kind of
configuration on my vcl, because the max-age are changed in a
different way per object by the apache web server at the time it
returns a 304, and in some specifics situations demanded by our sites.

In the example log, the apache web server returns:

  13 RxStatus     b 304
  13 RxResponse   b Not Modified
  13 RxHeader     b Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:11:37 GMT
  13 RxHeader     b Server: Apache
  13 RxHeader     b Connection: close
  13 RxHeader     b Cache-control: max-age=20

Changing the max-age of the object that was originally set in a
previous fetch to 20 in this case.

BTW: In the log there is a line that says: 13 TxHeader     b Host:
www.foo.com.com <--- that second .com is my mistake when i replaced
the host name. Not a log/object error.

Best Regards,