cant get restart; to fetch and deliver from other backend on HTTP error

Gerald Leier gerald.leier at lixto.com
Thu Sep 3 15:25:32 CEST 2009

hi,

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 11:00 +0200, Kristian Lyngstol wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 04:29:13PM +0200, Gerald Leier wrote:
> > After setting up 2 servers(one returning the requested page
> > the other returning 500 errors) i tested a bit but i have
> > some bug in there i cant get a grip on.
> >
> > after the first node returns a http 500 error varnish continues with
> > the second node....here is the part where it stops doing what i want:
>
> (...)
> > 11 TxHeader     b X-Forwarded-For: 10.21.1.40
> > 11 BackendClose b test2
> > 10 VCL_call     c error
> (...)
>
> If the connection failed, like it seems to have done here, you do not end
> up in VCL fetch. Note how varnish doesn't receive any headers from the web
> server (no RxHeader for the second backend).
>
> Varnish is unable to connect properly to your second server and that's
> what's causing problems.

well if varnish connects to the "HTTP 1.x 200 OK" server
first it has no problem what so ever delivering the result.

but if it hits a 500 first....well.....

im pretty shure that its my vcl configs that are buggy
and that this has nothing to do with the backend.

but anyways. i am out of cloues, so ill setup another testsystem
to validate the results i got out of the primary testsetup.

gerald