varnish Connection: close and IE6

Václav Bílek v.bilek at 1art.cz
Fri Sep 11 16:06:33 CEST 2009

Hello

We are trying to deploy varnish in production but IE6 is a big problem
for us.

On the first try of lounching varnish we learned that it is imposible to
use keepalive because of the number of clients. So we tried to disable
keepalive by adding :

set   resp.http.Connection="close";

to the deliver. All worked fine except of IE6, where page load time
raise extremely. So we tried to disable keepalive:off for IE6 by piping
it through, but the pipe in varnish is probably buggy we get many
asserts and varnish became unusable.
Then web investigate further what is the reason of IE slow pageloads...
the reason is that IE on some objects (for example png), doesn't care
the  "Connection: close" and doesn't close connection after getting
content, then after varnish session timeout varnish closes the
connection and IE gets another img and waits and so on...

Question:

Is there any way around that?

Thanks
Vaclav Bilek