varnish Connection: close and IE6

Václav Bílek v.bilek at 1art.cz
Mon Sep 21 15:46:16 CEST 2009

> With knowledge of that we dont know exactly how to patch for disabling
> keepalive we tried nasty hack:
>
> diff bin/varnishdcache_acceptor_epoll.c
> bin/varnishdcache_acceptor_epoll.c.new
> 114c114
> <               deadline = TIM_real() - params->sess_timeout;
> ---
>> //            deadline = TIM_real() - params->sess_timeout;
> 117c117
> <                       if (sp->t_open > deadline)
> ---
>> //                    if (sp->t_open > deadline)
>

> it worked in testing enviroment but in real trafic it was even worse
> (IE6 hanging for long time).

as we try to disble client side keepalive we made change in
cache_acceptor_epoll.c by disabling sesion timeout chceck and shorting
this timeout:
if ((tmp_timeout - last_timeout) > 60)
to:
if ((tmp_timeout - last_timeout) > 0.1)

and it looks like it solved our problem ...

is there any problem we should be expecting on high load after this
modification?