Restructuring the Wiki

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at redpill-linpro.com
Thu Sep 24 23:00:10 CEST 2009

As we talked about during the VUG meeting, the Wiki could use some love.

Unless anyone has any strong objections, I'll restructure it shortly. I'll
probably rewrite, rename and add a considerable amount of information, so I
apologize in advance for the inconvenience. I hope to avoid removing data
unless it's incorrect, obsolete or otherwise unwanted.

I did a quick tour of the Wiki, and figured I'd divide the information into
categories similar to the following (these are my raw notes, so fill in
your own blanks):

Wiki
 - Overview
 - News
   - Varnish Major.minor.patch
   - ?
 - Features
   - Architect Notes
   - Version N
   - Current
   - "Frequently declined"
   - Shopping List
   - Planned
 - Source
 - Community
   - IRC / ML
 - Documentation
   - Introduction
   - Reference documentation
     - CLI
     - VCL
     - Request Flowcharts
   - Guides
     - "Getting started"
     - Preparing for production
     - OS tweaks
     - Tips and tricks for hit-rate
   - Examples
     - Reference examples (VCL examples demonstrating specific features)
     - General VCL example-snippets
     - Complete examples
       - Reviewed
       - Raw
     - Tuning examples (Think various parameter-tweaks)
 - Develop
   - Debugging Varnish
   - (most of what is under DeveloperResources)
 - Resources
   - Varnish-cache.com
   - Commercial support
   - Accelerating wordpress with varnish, etc
 - "trouble log" -> void? Or fix?
 - "who uses..." ?

This is likely to change during the actual work, but it should give you an
idea at what I'm aiming at. My goal is to make it easy to find what you are
looking for and make the front page useful both for first time visitors and
for those of us who use the Wiki on a daily basis.

Knowing myself and how I've done wiki-restructuring in the past, I expect
the majority of the work will happen in one or two evenings, so thou has
been warned.

So again: comments, objections etc. are welcome, as you're the people who
will use this wiki and hopefully help improve it.

--
Kristian Lyngstøl
Redpill Linpro AS