varnish with ssl

Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Wed Apr 7 15:07:36 CEST 2010

On 07.04.2010 14:47, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a Problem using varnish and ssl. I trying to setup varnish to act as
> reverse proxy for our website.
>
> I need both unencrypted requests and requests via ssl.
>
> I know that varnish can not accept ssl connections itself. So I tried to setup
> stunnel to accept connections. That's not the problem. The problem I have is
> that I loose information from which IP the request originated.
>
> Are there plans to include ssl in varnish directly or is there a setup to
> retain this information.
>
> Regards
> 	Estartu

I have a ... similar setup, with the need to server both SSL and non-SSL
pages.

My "solution" was to place APSIS'es Pound bound to http and https, set
pound to contact the varnish (via plain http), and varnish to ask the
two apaches in my back end. Not as simple as it could've been, but on
the other hand it means that only Pound need to know anything about SSL.

Pound can be set up to log for you. ;)

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/