Regards to freshing up the website

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Apr 8 22:39:09 CEST 2010

Hi Anders,

Sorry for the delay, still digging through my mailbox...

I have recently been using the Python docs a fair bit, and I sort
of like how they have done it:  An installation document, A tutorial
to get you started, and a reference document with all the nitty-gritty
details.

I would like to see the Varnish documentation develop along the same lines,
here is a strawman index:

Installation manual:
	on this os, pull this package
	.. that ..//..
	to compile from source
	how to get help
	- mailing list
	- IRC
	- varnish-software.com
	- other listed consultants
	reporting bugs
	- using varnishtest to reproduce
	- what data do we need
	- confidentiality
	- ...

Tutorial
	starting varnish with -d, seeing a transaction go through
	explain varnishlog output for a miss and a hit
	a few simple VCL tricks, including switching VCL on the fly
	The helpers: varnishstat, varnishhist, varnishtop varnishncsa
	Now that you know how it works, lets talk planning:
	- backend, directors and polling
	- storage
	- logging
	- management CLI & security
	- ESI
	Real life examples:
	- A real life varnish explained
	- A more complex real life varnish explained
	- Sky's Wikia Setup
	Varnishtest
	- What varnishtest does and why
	- writing simple test-cases
	- using varnishtest to test your VCL
	- using varnishtest to reproduce bugs

Reference
	The programs:
	. varnishd manual page
	. varnishstat
	. - counters explained
	. common filtering options for shmlog tools
	. varnishlog ..
	. varnsihtop ..
	. varnsihncsa ..
	. varnsihhist ..