sick backend used by director ( 503 on healthy backend )

Mike Schiessl info at makeityourway.de
Tue Apr 20 14:18:03 CEST 2010

Hi list,

i am having a strange issue regarding the "director" with 2 backend hosts.

I've two webservers running lighty and one frontend (running the 2.1
varnishd).

The webs are put together as a redirector backend in varnishd as web01 and
web02.

When web02 fails, web01 takes over the work and everything works fine.

When I do it the other way (web01 fails and web02 is healthy) I got 503
(guru meditation).

The varnishlog reports web01 correctly as sick - but it seems to me that  it
is used anyway !

A very similar behavior was reported in ticket #589 .

Here is he regarding snippet of my .vlc

backend web01 {

        .host = "web01.cluster.local";

        .port = "8800";

        .max_connections = 500;

        .probe = {

                .url = "/";

                .timeout = 0.3s;

                .window = 8;

                .threshold = 3;

backend web02 {

        .host = "web02.cluster.local";

        .port = "8800";

        .max_connections = 500;

        .probe = {

                .url = "/";

                .timeout = 0.3s;

                .window = 8;

                .threshold = 3;

director webcluster random {

        { .backend = web01; .weight = 1; }

        { .backend = web02; .weight = 1; }

}

As "set req.backend" I use webcluster

I am using varnishd (varnish-2.1 SVN ) on kernel 2.6.31.11.

The following hours I will be able to test the behavior if there are any
suggestions, toady In the evening, the system will go live (knowing that in
failover issue there might occour guru meditation)

Thanks for your support

Mike Schiessl

Makeityourway.de