Possible (probable...) varnish 2.1.3 bug...

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Aug 5 19:49:34 CEST 2010

--On Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:13 AM +0200 Per Buer
<perbu at varnish-software.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Michael Loftis <mloftis at wgops.com> wrote:
>
>> Varnishlog does not filter as advertised when using the -o option.  I
>> don't know what it *does* do, but it most certainly isn't "to select
>> only requests which generated a log entry with the given
>>    tag whose contents match the given regex."
>
> Where is the quote from?

man varnishlog

>>  I just get a bunch of
>> entries -- seems like all of them from files, and completely random ones
>> from shared memory, none of which have my match even
>>
>> (IP REPLACED BELOW)
>> varnishlog -r <LOGFILE> -o RxStatus 503
>
> The -o option doesn't take options. It just groups the transactions
> together. You probably mean the -I or -i option. Check the man page
> (online at http://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/reference/varnishlog/).

I didn't mean to imply -o took args.  The man page explains that a trailing
<tag regex> is only valid with -o and filters for transactions that have
the <tag regex> occuring in them.  So you can get all the lines relating to
a particular <tag regex>, grouped together, which is NOT what it's doing.

Botht the web page you linked me to, and the man page, state exactly this:

"If the -o option was specified, an additional tag and regex may be
specified to select only requests which generated a log entry with the
given tag whose contents match the given regex."

Right after the options synopsis.  -o has a side effect enabling the
trailing (at the end of the command line <tag regex>).

Thus, bug, or atleast, documentation error.  I lean towards bug since this
seems like a very useful and sensible feature that should be part of the
transaction matching code.