Varnish computes Content-Length and set it to 0 for one of my URL!

Michael Alger varnish at mm.quex.org
Sun Aug 8 09:10:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:43:03PM +0200, zabrane Mikael wrote:

> As I wrote it before, accessing our backend directly with "curl"
> or any web browser worked for us for years now. Here's an example:
>
> $  curl -0 -D -  -v -I --no-keepalive --proxy 127.0.0.1:7676 http://www.groupama.fr/
> Date	Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:18:29 GMT
> Content-Type	text/html; charset=UTF-8
> X-Powered-By	ASP.NET
> Set-Cookie	jsessionid=MXFJmqLZ2cwnR1gyFhVDvzG59zx2KcP2vKcg6lNP4Gnz5nVky4D1!1556069365;
> path=/
> [...]
>
>> It seems like Varnish is only adding the erroneous header when it is
>> using your "caching backend", yes? (i.e. the thing on port 7676)
>
> Yep, only with our backend.
>
>> Would capturing the traffic Varnish sees with tcpdump and comparing
>> the two (squid and the caching backend) be feasible?
>
> with wireshark, it's my first time using it (please, see enclosed files).

Sorry, I was more interested in the actual data of the response.
Presumably Varnish is interpreting the response from squid
differently to the response from the caching backend.

Or, is there a way for us to see the response from the backend? Is
the site http://www.groupama.fr/ currently served by the caching
backend, i.e. if I point a Varnish at it I should see the same bug?