Too many 503 backend errors

Robert Shilston rtshilston at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:58:41 CET 2010

Anand,

I've simplified our VCL as much as practical to demonstrate how we use the backends.

> backend server2 {
>     .host = "a.b.c.12";
>     .port = "80";
>     .probe = {
>         .request =
>             "GET /healthforvarnish HTTP/1.1"
>             "Host: mysite.com"
>             "Connection: close";
>         .interval = 5s;
>         .timeout = 2500ms;
>         .window = 10;
>         .threshold = 8;
>     }
> }
> backend server3 {
>     .host = "a.b.c.13";
>     .port = "80";
>     .probe = {
>         .request =
>             "GET /healthforvarnish HTTP/1.1"
>             "Host: mysite.com"
> backend server2failsafe { .host = "a.b.c.12"; .port="80"; }
> backend server3failsafe { .host = "a.b.c.13"; .port="80"; }
>
> director workingpool random {
>     { .backend = server2; .weight = 1; }
>     { .backend = server3; .weight = 1; }
> }
>
> director failsafepool random {
>     { .backend = server2failsafe; .weight = 1; }
>     { .backend = server3failsafe; .weight = 1; }
> }

> sub vcl_recv {
>     set req.backend = workingpool;
>
>     if (!req.backend.healthy) {
>         set req.backend = failsafepool;
>     }

If you implement something like this, then run varnishncsa, you'll see which backends are being selected, and should deliver responses for 100% of your requests.  If it does, then you'll need to debug the health checks to see why your backends might be being considered unhealthy.

Rob