Connections to backend not closing

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 10 11:04:06 CET 2010

In message <4B71F7A0.2050308 at digithi.de>, "Thimo E." writes:
>Dear all,
>
>first of all, varnish is a really nice software! But... :)
>...At the moment I have some problems with varnish and its backend
>connection(s).
>
>[..]
>
>Some time later (at least 5 minutes !) the last entry "CLOSE_WAIT"
>disappears but the "FIN_WAIT2" persists, so the webserver still has a
>semi-open socket:

This is actually per design, varnish keeps backend connections around
if they look like they can be reused, and only revisits them when it
tries to reuse them, so they may linger for quite a while before
varnish discovers they have been closed by the backend.

Apart from the socket hanging around, it is harmless.