Connections to backend not closing

Thimo E. abc at digithi.de
Thu Feb 11 01:17:08 CET 2010

Hello Poul-Henning,

thanks for your quick response. I am not sure that this behavour is
really harmless, at least its not for me :)

After 1 day running varnish I have 140 sockets of the backend webserver
in FIN_WAIT2 state, this is quite a lot.
(btw; I don't know why FIN_WAIT2 sockets stay for such a long time in
that state and don't time out...)

With a litte bit more semi-open connections I can get my backend to a
state where stops responsing because of "Too many open connections" (I
think 256 connections is the limit at the moment). As you can imagine
that is quote annoying :)

Is there any possibility to say varnish to close "CLOSE_WAIT"
connections immediately ? Or do you have other ideas ?

Thanks in advance
   Thimo