Connections to backend not closing

Thimo E. abc at digithi.de
Fri Feb 12 00:12:56 CET 2010

Hello Poul, hello Michael,

 >The impact [of sockets in FIN_WAIT2] should be no more than a bit of RAM.
I disagree slightly :) The application which is waiting in FIN_WAIT2 has
allocated structures, threads which (may or may not) consume CPU time,
... and last but not least the value of max opened sockets will be
reduced by those dead sockets.
And..as I wrote already..due to that many opened sockets my backend
stops responding because of "Too many open connections".

Situation after 2 days running varnish:

netstat -p:
520 connections in FIN_WAIT2 state

varnishstat:
          438         0.00         0.01 Backend conn. reuses
          547         0.00         0.01 Backend conn. was closed
          988         0.00         0.02 Backend conn. recycles

>If you look in varnishstat, does the number correlate to the
>"Backend Conn." activity counters in any way ?

Poul, the 547 closed backend connections are quite near to 520 FIN_WAIT2
connections.

Any suggestions ?

Greets
   Thimo