Varnish 2.0.6 nuking all my objects?

Barry Abrahamson barry at automattic.com
Fri Feb 26 04:58:21 CET 2010

On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Barry Abrahamson wrote:

> In my case, Varnish took a cache of 1 million objects, purged 920k of them.  When there were 80k objects left the child restarted, thus dumping the remaining 80k :)

Happened again - here is the backtrace info:

AdvChild (7222) died signal=6
Child (7222) Panic message: Assert error in STV_alloc(), stevedore.c line 71:
  Condition((st) != NULL) not true.
thread = (cache-worker)
Backtrace:
  0x41d655: pan_ic+85
  0x433815: STV_alloc+a5
  0x416ca4: Fetch+684
  0x41131f: cnt_fetch+cf
  0x4125a5: CNT_Session+3a5
  0x41f616: wrk_do_cnt_sess+86
  0x41eb90: wrk_thread+1b0
  0x7f79f61e0fc7: _end+7f79f5b7a147
  0x7f79f5abb59d: _end+7f79f545471d
sp = 0x7f542e45a008 {
  fd = 9, id = 9, xid = 1122226896,
  client = 10.2.255.5:22276,
  step = STP_FETCH,
  handling = discard,
  restarts = 0, esis = 0
  ws = 0x7f542e45a080 {
    id = "sess",
    {s,f,r,e} = {0x7f542e45a820,+347,(nil),+16384},
  },

The request information shows that it was apparently fetching a 1GB file from the backend and trying to insert it into the cache.
--
Barry Abrahamson | Systems Wrangler | Automattic
Blog: http://barry.wordpress.com