varnish child failing to be restarted

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Jan 6 08:37:02 CET 2010

]] Jeremy Hinegardner

| I'm wondering if there are two issues here.  The first being, why does
| our child process die many times during the day, and the 2nd being, why
| does the restarting of the child fail sometimes.

It seems to be killed by the management process.  If the box is
otherwise healthy when this happens, try increasing cli_timeout.  If
it's quite loaded, I would suggest doing the regular performance tuning
such as putting the shmlog on a tmpfs and making sure your working set
fits in RAM (or use SSDs).

| In our case, the failure to restart the child is always when the
| "Pushing vcls failed" error appears in the log.

This is an independent bug.  I _think_ it is timing-related after a
child is killed, but I'm not exactly sure.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen
Redpill Linpro -- Changing the game!