varnish child failing to be restarted

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Wed Jan 6 19:21:30 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 08:37:02AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Jeremy Hinegardner
>
> | I'm wondering if there are two issues here.  The first being, why does
> | our child process die many times during the day, and the 2nd being, why
> | does the restarting of the child fail sometimes.
>
> It seems to be killed by the management process.  If the box is
> otherwise healthy when this happens, try increasing cli_timeout.  If
> it's quite loaded, I would suggest doing the regular performance tuning
> such as putting the shmlog on a tmpfs and making sure your working set
> fits in RAM (or use SSDs).

Thanks for the suggestions.  Right now I'm going with increasing
cli_timeout and we'll see if that alleviates the issue.

> | In our case, the failure to restart the child is always when the
> | "Pushing vcls failed" error appears in the log.
>
> This is an independent bug.  I _think_ it is timing-related after a
> child is killed, but I'm not exactly sure.

I when looking at the documentation for cli_timeout, I also noticed
cli_buffer, I have no clue if it could be related to this issue or not.
We do have a fairly extensive VCL with a good bit of inline, so I
increased this to be larger than the sum of our .vcl file sizes.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org