Cache utilization?

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Jan 25 14:15:46 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:02:32PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <F066603D-901B-4E4D-AC37-E5890C96305A at gyldendal.dk>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?
> Lars_J=F8rgensen?= writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Obvious question but I can't find the answer anywhere: How do I
> >know how much of my cache is utilized, i.e. is my cache file big
> >enough?
>
> You can see if it is too small, because you will get LRU kill
> activity in varnishstat.
>
> There is not really a good way to see if your cache is to big, and
> apart from diskspace, there is no disadvantage to that.

Well, I usually look at resident memory usage. That, and/or the
"allocated/free" memory in varnishstat: If it never gets closed to filling,
reducing the size could make sense. Or to turn it around: Buying more
memory isn't likely to help you. (Though LRU would've told you that too.)

--
Kristian Lyngstøl
Redpill Linpro AS