CDN Application Proxy Front End With Varnish

kh2008 at kennethhunt.com kh2008 at kennethhunt.com
Thu Jul 15 22:14:50 CEST 2010

I am trying to support COMPRESSION between an IIS web server and a .net
SOAP client on the user side.

I have configured the server to support compression, but the CLIENT does
not send ACCEPT_ENCODING requests.

My question , is if using something like the following:

sub vcl_recv {
if (req.request == "POST")
   {
set req.http.Accept-Encoding = "gzip";
I append this request from the PROXY to the server -- but the reply I get
back and sent to the client is also compressed. Is it possible to remove
the compression from the reply before  this is sent to client computer?

I know this is probably not an ideal case, but I'm asking for a technical
feasibility perspective.

In deployment I would have an varnish app proxy at a remote site and this
would optimize the WAN traffic for the application.

I did a lot of searches before posting this and the closest I found to
anyone doing something similar is using VARNISH as a CDN frontend.

I am wondering is REMOVE or UNSET the default.vcl actions I need to use
and would this go into sub vcl_deliver subsection?

Thanks