thread_pool_max - is it total of all thread pools?

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Thu Jul 15 22:07:50 CEST 2010

The min is per pool, the max is aggregate.  That was a little confusing to me too, at first.

Memory (stacks) is the primary bottleneck; you'll run out RAM long before modern kernels have trouble with thread counts.

Note that increasing the thread count is only useful (vs being a crutch for a bad backend) for long-lived or unreliable backend requests and long-lived client requests (mainly HTTP keepalives).  Past around double your CPU core count is all you'd need if Varnish were purely CPU-bound.  And that will happen only with many gigabits of traffic. :-)

So, assuming you're not obscuring some sort of failure up- or down-stream from Varnish, I'd tune your max to something like 2-3x your steady state worker count, and increase as necessary.

Hope it helps,
--
Ken