a couple of questions about -spersistent

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:44:00 CEST 2010

Marc Fournier wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> I've found a couple of threads on the list where people were trying to
>> request objects from the cache after a restart, but none of them seem
>> to have been successful, and the threads ended without any solution.
>>
>> My question is: what am I missing to be able to:
>>
>>  - fetch an object from a backend to prime the cache
>>  - fetch this object a 2nd time to check I get a HIT
>>  - restart varnish (as in /etc/init.d/varnish restart)
>>  - fetch the object and get a HIT.
>>
>> Has someone actually managed to have data persist in the cache across
>> restarts ?
>>

> Hum, must I interpret the lack of answers as "no, no one never got
> persistence working" ? And therefore, should I open a bug report ?
>
> Thanks for any hints :-)
>
> Marc

Marc,

My understanding is that -spersistent enables the cache to remain full
whilst a child varnish process restarts, but not for the parent process
(that you're restarting via /etc/init.d) to restart.  But, there's
definitely a lack of documentation at
http://varnish-cache.org/docs/reference/varnishd/#storage-types, which
just describes the persistent storage option as "New, shiny, better.".

Can someone who knows more about this feature add some comment here?

Rob