Status, plans, bugs and vacations...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jun 18 14:50:54 CEST 2010

So, 2.1.2 is out and it has some bugs, I already tore -trunk to
pieces with 3.0 work and btw. everybody is on vacation on and off
for the next 8 weeks...

ouch.

Here is the status:
-------------------

The critbit/cpu-usage issue is diagnosed and likely fixed in -trunk,
it needs testing and beating up to see that it is solid and actually
does fix the problem.

The ESI panic (#719) I just figured out, now I need to fix it.

I fixed a panic issue with director destruction on vcl.discard
yesterday, that needs to go in also.

Any other stuff/fixes from -trunk that can, should be included.

Unfortunately some of the work already done in -trunk makes it very
hard to do plain merges of these changes to 2.1 branch, and to make
life even more interesting, our SVN-meister, Tollef, is busy with
having a life and whats not.

Here is what we will do:
------------------------

I will try to create a patch file relative to 2.1.2 for people
to test, it will undoubtedly be updated a couple of times along
the way.  I will announce it in an email when it is ready for
testing.

When we are happy with the patch, and Tollef pops back from his
extra-curricular activities, we will do the necessary SVN magic to
get those patches sensibly into the 2.1 branch, some by merges,
some by direct commit.

All that will, hopefully, happen over the next 6-8 weeks, resulting
in a 2.1.3 release, but obviously, we have families and sunshine
that needs our attention too.

(Let me point out, that it is not in your best interest to pray for
rain in Denmark:  I sunburn easily and must stay inside in high
sun.  Rain would allow me to do other things than work on Varnish
and read books[1] :-)

Once the patch is out and tested/approved, I will dive back into 3.0
mode and hopefully we can do a 3.0.0 preview sort of release in
the last months of 2010.

And with that, I wish all of you on the top half a nice summer,
and all on the bottom half a nice winter.

Poul-Henning

[1] See also: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/1XSZNDWXKIAS0