Varnish restarting sporadically... losing entire cache...

Michael Lenaghan michaell at dazzit.com
Fri Jun 25 05:23:12 CEST 2010

Hello, Ben. Sorry for coming late to the party; I'm on digest mode for
the mailing list.

Running Varnish 2.1 on a 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 I had sporadic crashes,
by which I mean the child process would die and get re-started. The
crashes were easiest to reproduce under very heavy load--very many
requests for small documents, etc. I was able to fix the problem by
adding "session_linger=0" to my config. I spent time narrowing it to
that, and then verifying that exactly that setting was what I needed.
At least in my case. To the best of my knowledge Varnish hasn't
crashed since.

Of course, I don't know if my problem is or was the same as yours...