Varnish restarting sporadically... losing entire cache...

Paul Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Sat Jun 26 22:29:05 CEST 2010

On 6/26/2010 2:44 PM, Per Buer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Ben Nowacky
> <bnowacky at competitorgroup.com>  wrote:
>
>> NOpe, this is a dedicated server.. We're running CentOs... How do you know we're running 32-bit version? I had to compile from source on CentOS, so just grabbed the binaries from the site and did a build from them.  How are you guessing it's 32-bit?
>>
>> Definitely not familiar with analyzing core-dumps or even getting them to run... I'm not a sys-admin, just the guy stuck trying to get our servers ready for an onslaught of traffic coming next week that I know we can not handle right now....
>>
> Then seriously, reinstall that server with a 64 bit OS. I haven't
> heard of anyone thats been running 32bit Varnish in production for the
> last two years and having it run stable. The CC-people did for some
> time but I believe they migrated due some issues.

That's a pretty bold statement.  Among the 1000's of machines that I
administer daily, I have several running varnish on 32-bit archs.  You
may not of heard of this in the past two years, but now you can say,
you've heard of _two_ people running varnish on 32-bit archs, even if I
don't exclusively run it on 32-bit archs.  ;P

> If you can't do that, reduce the number of threads to an absolute
> minimum, reduce the cache to max 1G, and reduce the stack size until
> it's stable.

I concur.

Cheers!

This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.  See http://www.datapipe.com/about-us-legal-email-disclaimer.htm for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.